Monday, December 15, 2008

The full protest report

I set up outside BSA headquarters at 7:oo am on Tuesday, December 9, 2008. Here is a piece of video showing where I set up:






Here's another piece that better illustrates my uniform, which demonstrates how much I had invested in Scouting:





One person who didn't appreciate my little demonstration:





I didn't receive any reaction from the BSA until after WFAA Channel 8, the ABC affiliate in Dallas, showed up to give me an on-camera interview. Soon after the cameraman left, someone came out to talk to me (Sorry about the traffic noise, it was full on rush hour at that point):




I took them up on their offer to come in and discuss my situation. I met with two men named David Burke and Bill Steele. Mr. Burke is the head of communications for the BSA, and was the person in the above video who approached me and invited me to chat. I neglected to note which position Mr. Steele currently occupies with the BSA.

The main points from our discussion (from memory, as I did not tape the meeting):

1. Both men were polite and respectful, as was I. Mr. Burke apologized for the lateness of their replies to my written and telephoned requests, claiming that it was an organizational problem that they are currently attempting to rectify.

2. Neither man could believe my claim that no one from Scouting ever offered any help whatsoever to me. Well, believe it, because it (didn't) happen.

3. Mr. Burke informed me that he did not know of any formal program on the national level to assist victims of sexual abuse by Scout leaders. He did subsequently email me and informed me that he had looked into matters and that such a program did exist, although he did not furnish details.

4. The only time the meeting became uncomfortable for me was when I compared Scouting's previous handling of sexual abuse cases to the Catholic church's system of archbishops transferring "problem" priests from parish to parish. Mr. Burke strongly objected and stated (paraphrased), "As a Catholic, I don't believe that the archbishops did such things".

To me, this underscores the naivete of Scouting's national leadership to their own problem. Why? To me there is overwhelming evidence that church officials did precisely what they are accused of doing and many juries agree with me, as the many multi-million dollar judgments against the Catholic Church prove. Anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves and possesses a dangerous blind spot about their own organization, in my opinion.

5. In summary - they told me that Eagle Scout is a youth award, and that my chances of receiving it at this late date are slim to none, which is pretty much the answer I expected out of them. If they don't see the value in correcting their predecessors' past mistakes, so be it. I believe that it's pretty small of them, however, and that their policy of not allowing former Scouts that were damaged on their organization's watch to complete their Eagle award, however late it may be, graphically shows that they don't follow their own stated values.

I also still believe that they don't go nearly far enough to protect boys against sexual victimization, and that any counseling program isn't adequate, if the head of communications doesn't know about it and subsequently has to undergo research to verify that it in fact exists.

In my view, the BSA still has a long, long way to go in this area, and we plan on being around to make sure that it either improves its track record significantly (and soon), or else we will dedicate ourselves to putting it out of business.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspected as much.

I don't think your time is wasted on persuing this, but, you are seeing first hand how poorly run that organization really is these days.

As to the gnorant Catholic person you met with, I would send him some news clippings/URLs to view.

Make sure you are still serious at this point about going forward. It will only get nastier from this point on.

I hope I am wrong... not likely.

Anonymous said...

Well Doug, there are a few things you are contradicting yourself with.....a long time fan of the Northern Muckraker I don't understand your agenda. What do you want to happen?

1. To get your Eagle Scout Badge?
2. To embarrass an organization?
3. Take on your aggression on someone or an organization who had nothing to do with your situation?

1. If that was your intention why when you start to not get your way you turn the conversation to what they (the Boy Scouts) did wrong? Did they know about the molestation? Did they transfer the scoutmaster? Did they cover up, or did they hand over the accused to the proper authorities? And why do you hold a whole religion responsible for one persons actions? Would a background check if it had come out clean prevented your situation?

2. When the organization had no chance in understanding the magnitude of your situation and after decades you return and ask for a full on public apology when you waited so long to bring it to their attention? not saying that time resolves a situation but why now? what has happened in your life when you need to redirect your aggression from the responsible party to the parent organizations? How about the police department? how about your parents? how about your siblings? where is the end point?

3. Furthermore you have people responding to your postings saying they will advise people they know not to let their kids into scouting....OK so now what happened to you is going to prevent other children from experiencing a great childhood of camping trips etc.

You seem like a troubled person that cannot make a rational decision about how to deal with your past. why don't you find a way past your situation instead of making yourself at home in your misery?
I truly wish you all the best but until you make more sense or communicate and act with a sole purpose I will not understand your plight!

Anonymous said...

Just to follow up to the previous Anon poster.

1) Since Doug was FORCED to leave the troop by a child molester, should he not expect to see some process to attain his Eagle award? If the BSA can hand an award over to a person who was drafted, why not to someone who was molested?

Both are "victims". Different circumstances, but, the BSA made an exception in one case. It should make one for others.

I was told when I got my Eagle that under no circumstances would they grant it to anyone over 18 or who had not accomplished all the requirements.

Yet, they bend/break the rules they say they live by.

Great organization... "the rules apply when we say they do".

2) The organization that favors hiding and ducking is certainly an embarrassment. I know plenty of other Eagle Scouts who I have shared Doug's story to and are ashamed of the BSA's stance.

Lets face facts. Doug chronicled quite clearly who he had contacted and their dialog. Its not like he showed up on their doorsteps unannounced. He made every effort to reach out and was ignored until he protested.

How honorable is the BSA in all of this? Show us all how their stance sets a good example for others.

3) I refuse to put my son into scouting if the way in which these cases are handled is not changed. Doug is brave enough to challenge "status quo".

Do you honestly expect that the BSA will "self help" itself responsibility in these areas on its own? When has an organization ever done that? Have you ever worked at the BSA or a local council?

I am an Eagle Scout and I would say that how the leadership/management is handling this is rather poor.

But, no doubt, Doug has a SERIOUS uphill battle ahead of him. Getting the BSA to change will require alot of dedication. Just as much as it takes for a young man to get his Eagle in the first place.

Douglas Hester said...

Thanks for the followup, Anon #2. I was going to reply to the first Anon, but you expressed things just as well or better than I could have.